Study Details Currently Enrolling
If you develop T1D while in one of our studies, we are still here for you. The LIFT Study (Long-Term Investigative Follow-Up in TrialNet) gives participants personal ongoing monitoring by experts at the forefront of T1D research. This is the only clinical study in the world that is following people with T1D before, during and after diagnosis.
Long-term follow up will help us answer questions about what happens in the stages of T1D, including:
- Does starting insulin early, before symptoms appear, improve blood glucose control and reduce long-term complications?
- Are there differences in diabetes control between the people who receive treatment and those who don’t?
- Are there any long-term effects from the treatments in our studies?
The answers to these questions will be used with other study findings to give us a better understanding of how to prevent T1D.
Who Can Participate
The LIFT Study is open to participants who were in TrialNet prevention studies who develop type 1 diabetes and participants who were in TrialNet new onset studies that are completed.
All LIFT study participants will come to a TrialNet location once a year. At each visit participants will be asked to complete a Health Status Questionnaire and can expect to receive the following tests:
- HbA1c test (3-month average blood glucose)
- Mixed Meal Tolerance Test (MMTT) until your body no longer makes its own insulin
- Other blood and/or urine tests as required
Each visit lasts approximately 2.5 to 3 hours. Study monitoring and tests are all provided at no cost to participants.